DON'T LET YOUR SEWER TURN ON YOU
OR YOUR NEIGHBORS
"DO NOT Pour fats, oils or grease (FOG) down the drain"
FOG Q & A
Q. What is FOG?
A. Fats, oils and grease from food preparation, residential and food manufacturing sites
Q. Where does it come from?
A. Meat fats, lard, cooking oil, shortening, butter, margarine, food scraps, baking goods, sauces, and dairy products
Q. How does it affect me?
The Holiday season is upon us, eliciting visions of buttery meals, turkey fryers, rich foods and lots of baking. FOG in the sewer system is one of the primary causes of residential sewer backups this time of year.
Q. What can I do?
A. Here are some quick Dos & Don'ts to keep fats, oils and grease out of our sewer system.
The Holiday season elicits visions of buttery meals, turkey fryers, rich foods and lots of baking. FOG in the sewer system is one of the primary causes of residential sewer backups this time of year.
- Wipe down greasy pots and pans with a dry paper towel and dispose of it in your kitchen scrap recycling or garbage
- Do not pour FOG down the garbage disposal or sink drain
- Do not use hot water to wash the grease down the drain
- Pour cooled oil, fats and grease into a can with a tight lid (coffee can) and dispose of it in the garbage
- Talk to your friends about the problem with grease in the sewer system
Properly dispose of oil from your turkey fryer this holiday season: Pour the cooled oil into a container, seal it and drop it off at your local collection center.
Other Sewer Smart tips:
More Sewer Smart tips
- Wipes ?Throw used wipes in the trash. "Disposable" does not mean "flushable." Cleaning wipes and baby wipes do not dissolve. Instead, they get stuck in sewer pipes and sewer pumping equipment, causing costly sewer backups and sanitary overflows as well as equipment failure. Dispose of cleaning or baby wipes, latex gloves and personal hygiene products in the bathroom wastebasket.
- Kitty litter, plastic or latex items and needles can all clog pipes. Bag these items and place them in the trash.
- DO NOT flush baby diapers, wipes or personal hygiene items down the toilet.
- DO NOT uses the toilet as a wastebasket.